Don't Panic at the Pump.
Gas Saving Tips from Your Mullinax Ford Family
Have you been to the gas station lately? Insane! If looking at the prices makes you woozy, you are not alone.
Fuel costs have climbed almost 80 cents a gallon recently, pushing the average price more than $1.50 higher than a year ago. Nationally gas hit a record $4.43 before dropping to $4.289 as of March 17, according to AAA. Florida is right in line with a statewide average price of $4.280.
What can you do – short of staying home, which is not really an option – to reduce the pain at the pump?
Gas-saving strategy number 1: Focus on maintenance.
Vehicles that are nor regularly maintained don’t run as well and therefore use more gas. Why? As the U.S. Department Energy’s FuelEconomy.gov website explains:
- Using the recommended grade of motor oil can improve fuel economy by 1 to 2 percent if you’ve been using the wrong grade.
- Keeping tires properly inflated makes them last longer and can improve gas mileage by 0.6 percent on average and up to 3 percent in some cases. Also, be sure your tires are aligned and balanced.
- Servicing a car that is noticeably out of tune can increase fuel economy by up to 4 percent.
- Replacing a clogged air filter can help increase fuel mileage.
Mullinax Ford’s Fuel Saver Packages provide crucial maintenance services that can improve your vehicle’s fuel economy. Here’s what we offer:
- Good: The Works Package that includes:
- Tire rotation and pressure check
- Batter inspection
- Vehicle checkup
- Fluid top-off
- Batter test
- Filter check
- Belts and hoses check
- PLUS, air filter service (Not included in The Works Package)
- Better: Includes the Good Package, plus:
- Upgrade to full synthetic oil
- Valvoline fuel induction service to remove carbon buildup in fuel system
- Best: Includes Better service, plus spark plug replacement
Services are also available a la carte.
2: Modify your driving habits.
Small changes to the way you drive and treat your vehicle can save you money. The FuelEconomy.gov Fuel Economy Guide for Model Year 2022 suggests that you:
- Observe the speed limit. Every 5 mph over 60 mph can reduce fuel economy by 7 percent.
- Use cruise control on the highway to maintain a constant speed.
- Driving slower and braking and accelerating more gently. Fast starts and stops make the engine work harder and suck up more fuel.
- Plan and combine trips.
3: Unload your vehicle.
- Remove the cargo containers and bike racks from the roof. They affect the aerodynamics and can increase fuel consumption by as much as 20 percent.
4: Download an app to find cheap gas near you.
Popular gas apps include:
- Gas Guru
- Station-branded rewards app
5: Apply for a FordPass Rewards Visa card
The FordPass card lets you turn your points into discounts for great Ford rewards on:
- Service, including oil changes, tire rotations and regular maintenance.
- Parts and accessories, including tires, wiper blades, rims and bed covers, among other items.
- The purchase of a new Ford.
See how small changes – and the right maintenance – can help you squeeze every drop of efficiency out of a gallon of gas. Contact Mullinax Ford today to schedule one of our Fuel Saver Packages.